Monday, December 26, 2016

Northern Lights on Christmas Day!

lights2

I had my eye on my Aurora app all Christmas Day and knew there was a good chance I would catch a glimpse if the sky cleared.  By 10pm the stars were visible and I keep bundling up and running down to the lake to see if they were active. By 11:15pm I had almost given up hope and was going to head to bed when my husband said “ the lights are dancing”.   So we bundles up in our ski pants, Sorel boots, goose down parkas, fur mitts, scarves and toques and headed to the lake.   It was a chilly –30’c and I didn’t even look at the wind-chill, I was determined to get a few pictures as it had been since early October that I last took aurora photos.   The aurora has been active over the past two months but it has been very cloudy here so I missed quite a few opportunities so I wasn’t going to miss this one!

lights5

They were quite faint at first but I knew that could change at any second and it did.  They suddenly intensified and danced across the sky with a ribbon of red on the northern edge.    I had to limit my exposure time to 6 seconds or the photos would just be one large ball of green light as they were moving so fast.  

lights6

lights7

After about 10 minutes they started to fade and we were left to view a soft green glow to the  north.  I’m sure they intensified a few times during the night but we were pretty cold after being outside for 15 minutes and my hand was burning cold from taking my mitt off so often to adjust my camera.  Time to go in for the night.   I hope there will be many more opportunities to capture this beautiful phenomenon this winter!

lights8

Here was the view to the east and it was a gentle glow over top of us.

lights9

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful, lucky you to be in a place where you are able to observe the Northern Lights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, the sky is beautiful! I am not good with the cold weather, so glad that you are able to go out and take pictures to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Aurora pictures are fantastic. You are so fortunate. Hope to someday head to northern Alberta to capture some myself. I do night shots with a bit of light painting. You might give it a try with a strong flashlight and focus the light on the trees. Just gives a bit of depth. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Bev in NS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have use light with my northern light pictures...but not when it's -30'c! It was a quick shoot! I am hoping the next time the lights are right over my house I can get a picture with my tree that is lite up in my yard. But I was out in the middle of our bay so a flash would be useless on the trees.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing these pictures. I so wish I could see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing for all us people who will probably never see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is totally wonderful to know that you saw and photographed the lights and now I can see them. So many layers of clothes, no wonder you needed every one. Maybe you can get some of those special mittens that have a flap that can be turned over when using a camera. Just an extra late Christmas present !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are beautiful. Memories of my days in Labrador. And your quilting is fabulous. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful experience - lucky you for popping outside at the right time! Thanks so much for sharing those great photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply stunning photos! How wonderful that you get to see these festive lights in person! Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing such an amazing act of nature that only the north can produce so vividly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish i could see it once in person...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing the images of the Northern lights. I live on Vancouver Island and have seen them twice down here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those photos are simply amazing. I am amazed that you and your husband can go out in that cold, cold temperature. You are truly devoted. Thank you for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll ever be bored by these photos - beautiful, stunning and always unique. Not sure I'd cope with the intense cold in the north for such a long time, but if I did live there then the light show would certainly make it worth the while. Thank you for sharing the wonderful sights with us.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for braving the weather. I'd love to see the lights, until then I have your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am just in awe of the Aurora! I am also in awe of you, braving freezing temps to take pictures of the beauty...then sharing it with us! Thank you so much!
    Happy New Year to you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year to you, Kathy, and thank you, as always, for such beautiful pictures and wonderful information.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never get tired of looking at these photos, what a wonderful thing to do on Christmas day and then share it with us. Thank you so much Kathy, Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete